To make the comparisons to my younger self, I decided to choose a specific age: 22, a decade & a half ago. Those 15 years have seen a lot of major life events. I'm not completely different, however, so I divided the list in half: five ways I'm different & five ways that I'm the same as my early-twenties-kid self.
Here are the differences:
- I am in a relationship that's lasted longer than a year (we've been together nearly 14 years now).
- I no longer rent--I own a home & I'm actually a landlord, technically.
- I've had a job that I would call a career. Though I'd worked full-time for about a year at that point, it was at a cafe & I kind of hated it.
- I now know how to cook. I left home not long before my 22nd birthday & I remember once calling my mom for help hard boiling an egg.
- I am a parent. This has been the most life-changing of all the things on this list. It's made me blase about poo, given me a few stretch marks
- I love to make things--sewing, crochet, painting, drawing, woodwork. I don't necessarily get time to do this as often as I did back then, but I still love it.
- I love to get outside. That used to mean hiking & rollerblading, now it means parks & cycling.
- I still don't have a car. Car-sharing with Modo, cycling & transit are great ways for us to get around & I don't see that being very different in another 15 years.
- I love to read. A lot of what I read is now online, but I still pick up novels & non-fiction in the oh-so-old-fashioned paper book form these days.
- I love to write. Back then it was terrible angsty poetry. Now it's mostly blogging here, but I'm still writing every day.
Why Monday lists? Reading the lovely Chloe's blog, Tea Swamp Park, I found an idea I had to 'steal': a list of all her Halloween costumes, with quite a few photos. She got the idea from Hula Seventy's List Project. I've decided to do the weekly lists for a year that Hula Seventy is doing.
Tea Swamp Park & Hula Seventy are not the only ones doing lists, however. Click on the Listicles badge to the left to check out NorthWestMommy's list & 'assignment' for next week.